<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Last night I slept in a real bed! Upon waking I happened to glance at the books on the nightstand in the room and decided to read today's page from Daily Light, which is a devotional written in 1875 (according to this site ) since I had heard good things about it. It's basically scripture designated to each day of the year, each with a different theme. Lately I've been feeling overwhelmed by some feelings, and I was getting discouraged because I thought for sure, if I didn't stop feeling the temptation, then I was failing. At the end of the entry in Daily Light for September 21, James 1:2-4 reads

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.


I had never heard that scripture quite that way before (I've been reading a different version) and I realized that it wasn't wrong to feel tempted, but rather it was a strengthening of my faith every time I said "No!" Then it was encouraging, because rather than looking at the temptation as a negative, I was able to look at the strength I have through Christ - to say "no" - as a positive thing. Instead of viewing the temptation you face as a failing because the weakness of your flesh, rejoice in the strength of Christ that enables you to overcome the temptation.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?