<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 07, 2007

I finished the bagel video!



Here, for my blog readers, is the altered recipe from The Bread Baker's Apprentice.


Sponge=

1 tsp instant yeast
4 cup high gluten (bread) flour (I used whole 50% whole wheat)
1 1/2 cup water

Mix yeast with flour. Add water. Let sit in bowl, covered, on the countertop at room temp for 2 hours.

Dough=
1/2 tsp instant yeast
3 3/4 cup high gluten (bread) flour (I used 50% whole wheat)
2 3/4 tsp salt
1 TB honey, dark or light malt syrup, or brown sugar

In the same bowl, add extra yeast to the sponge and stir. Then add 3 cups flour, salt, and malt. Mix till ingredients form a ball. Add remaining 3/4 cup flour.

Knead for 10-15 minutes (less if by machine. I did one batch by hand and one by Kitchen Aid). Immediately divide dough into 4 1/2 ounce pieces (for standard bagels, smaller for smaller). I used a scale the first time and weighed everything, including the flour. The scale wasn't working this second time when I did the video, so I just measured ingredients by volume and eyed the amount for each bagel.

Cover bagels for 20 minutes and let rest. Let them rise until one floats within 10 seconds in a bowl of water. If not, dry bagel and put back on counter. Test again in 10 minutes.

Place on pans lined with parchment paper (they stuck terribly since I didn't follow directions the first time. This time I used parchment paper and cornmeal on some, on others just a greased pan. Parchment paper worked much better).

The following day boil water in a big pot and add 1 TBS baking soda. Preheat oven to 500. Boil bagels in water 1-2 minutes on each side (as many as will fit comfortably). When all bagels are boiled, remove with slotted spoon and place back on trays. Bake for 5 minutes, reduce heat to 450, rotate and switch pans, bake another 5 minutes or until they get slightly golden (it took probably 15 minutes for me).

Eat up! They taste great plain, and the kids liked them toasted.

A word of caution before you put the whole wheat in there; I got some mushy bagels on the second round and the only thing I can remember I did differently was the flour. I also didn't watch as carefully how long they boiled. Keep an eye on that timer!

I reeeeally should have gotten a clip of the finished product, lol.

Labels: ,


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?